Build Your Own Log Cabin with These Kits
Log Cabins for Less out of Greeneville, Tennessee sells log cabin kits. They have a lot of plans to choose. Kits range from the little Windy Hill with 846 square feet to kits to build really big log homes with over 3000 square feet.
The kits are available two different ways. You can buy a kit with just the logs or a kit with everything you need to completely build a new log home. They also sell materials like big beam and timber roof systems, log tongue and groove siding, knotty pine doors and log porch and stair railings.
I was actually just looking for someone I used to know who lives in Gatlinburg and sells log cabins. My Google search brought me to this log cabin kit named The Gatlinburg, instead.
They sell kits or just the logs and materials so you can build a log cabin.
The Gatlinburg Log Cabin Kit
The Gatlinburg Log Cabin Kit on eBay is 2 level, 42’ x 24’ with 8’ high interior walls.
The kit builds a house that has three bedrooms, two full baths and a half bath.
There is a small deck at the front door and a large deck the whole length of the back.
Gatlinburg Floor Plans and Pricing Information
2 Level, 3 Bedroom, 2.5 Bath, 42′ long x 24′ wide, Total Living 1,788 sq ft
- 2 level
- 3 Bedroom
- 2.5 Bath
- Main: 1092 s.f.
- Loft: 696 s.f.
- Total living: 1788 s.f.
This listing features the GATLINBURG floor plan in your choice of either 6 x 8 d-log or 6 x 12 chink log profile. Logs are flat inside with a v-joint, double tongue and groove in Eastern White Pine. (other species available)
Package includes the following:
- Pressure treated sill plate
- Sill seal insulation
- Metal roll termite flashing
- Matching log siding for rim joist
- Conventional sub-floor framing system using 2x joists and Georgia Pacific DryGuard enhanced sub-floor sheeting
- 2 x 4/2 x 6 SPF lumber for all interior walls
- Construction adhesive
- Joist hangers per plan
Logs Wall System:
- Kiln dried double tongue and groove logs
- Choice of 6 x 8 D-logs or 6 x 12 chink logs
- Log Boss log screws
- Sashco Log Builder Caulk
- 1/2″ foam gasket tape
- Dovetail corners (chink logs only)
- 2 x 6 SPF framing materials for door and window openings
- Matching log siding for gable ends, dormers, shed dormers per plan
- 2 x 4 SPF framing materials
- 7/16 OSB sheathing
- House wrap
- Engineered ridge beams
- 2 x 12 rafters
- 5/8″ CDX roof sheathing
- 4 x 8 decorative collar ties
- 1 x 8 Eastern White Pine tongue and groove for interior ceiling
- Synthetic felt
- 30-yr Tamko architectural shingles (choose from 12 colors) or 29 gauge metal roofing (23 colors to choose from)
- Rafter ties per plan
- Roof drip edge metal
- Pressure treated material- 6 x 6 support posts, 2 x 8 joists, 2 x 10’s for outside band, 5/4 x 6 KDAT, metal fasteners
- Eastern White Pine material- 6 x 6 support posts, 4 x 8 girder beams, 4 x 6 rafters, 2 x 6 Spruce tongue and groove decking
Second Floor System:
- 4 x 12 stair stringers
- 4 x 10 stair treads
- 6 x 6 support posts w/adjustable jack posts
- 6 x 12 girder beams
- 4 x 8 loft joists
- 2 x 6 Spruce tongue and groove decking
Stain Package (Quality Sashco Products):
- Log Builder log caulk
- CPR log cleaner
- TimBor Professional wood perservative
- Capture log stain
- Cascade clear top coat
- Conceal textured caulk
- Choice of 9-lite crossbuck wood exterior door or Craftsman fiberglass insulated door
- Exterior trim boards
- Choice of Comfort View vinyl windows or Window Craft wood windows, both double tilt Low-E glass with full screens
- Flashing tape
- Floor plans (electronic)
- Free shipping to within 300 miles of Greenville, TN
If you want to pay a little more, you can ungrade the kit to include hand hewn logs, interior tongue and groove, different or additional doors, a timber roof, different or additional insulation, or upgraded flooring.
They will also give you a price for a kit using your own floor plans.
Averett Log Cabin Kit
The Averett is another log cabin kit they are selling on eBay.
On the website it shows this priced out both ways, as a complete log cabin kit or as a kit with just the logs.
This is a picture of a finished Averett Log Cabin built with a Kit from Log Cabins for Less.
They sell everything you need if you want to repair or upgrade the log cabin you already have.
Log Profiles and Options
You can upgrade your kit to hand hewn logs.
There are a variety of log types available for interior or exterior walls.
Log Home Corners
Log Cabins for Less has three styles of corners available; intersecting, overlapping and interlocking.
The intersecting corner is where the logs on the connecting walls butt up against each other. They form an alternating pattern where each log end presses against the side of the log on the other wall. Each wall has alternating long and short logs to allow the logs to mesh together. This makes for a strong connection between the two walls. The logs don’t extend past the corner.
The overlapping corner is where the logs are stacked on each other. They have notches cut into them to allow them to fit over the log on the other side. They fit together like puzzle pieces. The notches hold the walls together. The logs on each side extend past the corner. This is a look many people associate with older log buildings.
The interlocking corner is where dovetail shaped notches and protrusions are cut into the logs. The logs in the one wall fit into the notches in the other. These corners are like dovetail joints in wooden furniture. It is a very popular corner type and provides a strong connection. The logs extend past the corner but with less overhang than the overlapping corner joint.
It all depends on the look you want.