The Finished Laundry Room
I finally got all of the cabinet doors and drawer fronts stained. I had enough room to stain just two of the doors at a time without working in the garage. The garage is cold.
I just noticed in this photo that we forgot to put on any toe kick on the cabinets. I think we used the wood to make up the difference where the wall was just a bit wider than the cabinets, so I guess it’s back to Home Depot Curbside Pickup.
(The first time we did Curbside Pickup we called and waited and waited, called again and waited. Finally Cliff went in to find out what the delay was. The delay was we were in the Lowe’s parking lot waiting for Home Depot.)
The stain is Minwax Oil-Based Stain in Vintage Blue. It was lighter and more turquoise, less blue when I rubbed it on with a cloth. But the wood took the stain very unevenly, so I put it on with a brush.
I love the way the color turned out! And I love it with the yellow walls.
The stain was so easy to use I read the directions a couple of times to be sure I wasn’t missing something. And it is very forgiving. I haven’t stained in a long time and forgot to go with the grain at first.
We used these blue and white ceramic knobs. I had originally bought them for the kitchen, but I found something I like better.
Every knob is different. These are from Amazon and they are really really inexpensive!
One of the pantry cabinets was over an outlet. So, Cliff moved the outlet to inside the cabinet.
He measured where the outlet is. The blue tape keeps the surface of the cabinet from getting messed up as he cuts. It’s also easy to mark the measurements on.
I had him run wires and put an outlet in the bathroom cabinet at the log cabin so there was somewhere to plug in the electric toothbrushes.
He drilled a hole in the side of the cabinet so things could be plugged in. We added a plug adapter, so I won’t have to try to remember where it is when I eventually need it.
At first I had the cords just tucked into the corner, but every time I put things into the cabinet it bumped the cord to the Roomba and it started running. So I added a cup hook and a carabiner clip so I can wind the wires up and out of the way.
The wires pass out of the cabinet to the Roomba and Mint. At least so far, the Roomba has been able to find it’s way back to the dock here.
I left enough space so that I can get into the washer. The shelves I had before were closer and really annoying. I was always knocking things off or bumping my shoulder.
I added this bar so I have somewhere to put hangers. These are super cheap. I use them for everything, scarves, pan lids, jewelry… Put them on the wall and use S hooks to make a potrack…
Here is the laundry room really finished. There is space for tubs above the cabinets. Most of them are still empty, but not for long.