Choosing the Soaker Tub
The house includes a 5′ fiberglass one piece tub and shower combination. This is fine for the guest bathroom, but I want a deeper tub for me.
I went through this before when I added a second bath to the log cabin. I did a lot of research to find the deepest tub that would fit in the space I had.
This time I don’t have to compromise. I started with research on-line, then drove out to actually try on the tubs. It was a revelation. Some the deepest tubs were just awful! The sides are so steep you can’t lean back or they are so short your knees are up at an awkward uncomfortable angle.
If the tub is too long, you slide under the water when you try to relax.
There are quite a few showrooms where you can take off your shoes and sit in the tubs. Some actually encourage you to make an appointment, bring a bathing suit, fill ‘em up with water and really experience the features.
I love the look of the claw-foot old fashioned soaker tubs, so this was what I was looking for.
One of the first places I went to had the Underscore K-1821 from Kohler. It was not at all what I had in mind. But the angle of the back was so comfortable! And it fit perfectly! Some are so long, I would be sliding down. Others are too short, so my knees have to be up. Some hold so much water, it would empty the hot water heater twice to fill it up. This one was perfect. It is 66″ long, but there is plenty of space for it. And the water can be 18″ deep!
A went to at least half a dozen more showrooms, and climbed in and out of at least 50 different tubs, but nothing compared.
The tub is available with a lot of options:
- Soaking Bath – 1821-0
- Soaking Bath + Bask heated surface – 1821-W1
- BubbleMassage air bath – 1822-G
- BubbleMassage air bath + chromatherapy – 1822-GCR
- BubbleMassage air bath + Bask heated surface + chromatherapy – 1822-GCW
- VibrAcoustic + BubbleMassage air bath – 1822-GVB
- VibrAcoustic + BubbleMassage air bath + Bask heated surface + chromatherapy – 1822-GVBCW
- BubbleMassage air bath + Bask heated surface – 1822-GW
- Whirlpool + heater – 1822-H2
- VibrAcoustic – 1822-VB
- VibrAcoustic + chromatherapy – 1822-VBC
- VibrAcoustic + chromatherapy + Bask heated surface – 1822-VBCW
- VibrAcoustic + Bask heated surface – 1822-VBW
- Whirlpool + BubbleMassage air bath – 1822-XH2G
All were really appealing, but I finally decided not to add anything else to the price. For the number of times I would actually use bubbles or heat, it wasn’t worth the additional price of the tub and the electrician to make it work. I don’t like my tub to make noise.
I do like bubbles, but for the thousands of dollars difference, I can buy a lot of bath fizzer bombs.
It comes in a lot of colors, but I like white.
These are the Features
- End drain.
- Slotted overflow for deep soaking.
- Integral lumbar support.
- 66″ (1676 mm) x 32″ (813 mm) x 22″ (559 mm)
- Drop-in or under-mount.